Thursday, April 15, 2010

SGU Crossroads

There are three roads from the roundabout near my apartment. One road leads to the airport, one road leads to Grenada and one road leads to Campus.
A bunch of clinical tutors live in my building. I talked to them a few times and had seen them in labs. I went to do my laundry the other night and they were having a party and invited me to join them. So I went down to enjoy some home cooked south indian meals (rasam, pulyaogre(sic) and more). Just couldn't pass that up!
Talking to some of them I learned that SGU has a program for medical graduates from other countries (in this case India obvs.) to come and teach for 2 years at SGU while they apply for residencies in the US. Turns out a lot of them do get their residencies and SGU gives them a third year to match if they need it.
It was encouraging to see that "true IMGs" that were not US citizens could make it into the states for residency through SGU. They were celebrating successful matches for four of their colleagues - all going to respectable places from Chicago, to Rochester and NYC.
It seems there are many routes to SGU, but a lot of them lead to where people want to go...

0 comments: