Saturday, April 17, 2010

Immunology... or how not to teach a class


I am continuously reminded of how much of a visual learner I am and perhaps this is why Dr. S's Immunology course, until this point, has been a struggle. I cannot pay attention at all during lecture and the notes, though thorough, are very text based with few diagrams. I need diagrams!
But on top of that, the order in which the material was presented just did't work for me. Immuno was a course I enjoyed in undergrad and generally found interesting (I even shadowed at an Allergy Clinic) but I found myself starting to hate the course and the professors.
I didn't realize my problem was how the material was presented until I put together T cell activation on my own. I used a combination of Wikipedia (decent article) with a copy of High Yield Immunology. I also referenced the class notes to make sure I had what I needed to know. Then I took it all and drew out a diagram with all the relevant cytokines. And it makes sense. Macrophages are cool again, CD4+ T helper cells rock and I can appreciate how HIV kills.
I've had poorly taught courses before, but never could I say exactly how to make them better. With this course, I think a better integration of cytokines into the Th section along with more and better diagrams, coupled with big picture understanding would go a long ways to improving it. And a coherent lecture would help too.

0 comments: