Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Dengue

Dengue has struck Grenada in full force. The week before the Microbiology midterm, Prof. L, who was lecturing on Dengue, got the Dengue. Some classmates got it. Then this week, my lab partner gets it. Dear God, what is going on here!!

Luckily, we have the milder form so there has not been any fatalities (that I'm aware of) and everyone seems to be recovering... fingers crossed. That is not the case for other areas, especially in Asia, where it can be fatal.
If you have the time, send a report of your local Dengue cases to HealthMap and check it out to see the burden of the disease across the tropics.

In school news, I survived midterms and found them difficult but doable. Afterwards I went to the wonderful CUGH (more on this later) conference in Seattle and spent a few days at home in Boston. Looking at people in the field of Global Health and Environmental health in action, presenting on their various projects was certainly motivating and really reminded me why I'm here. The perspective helped clear my head and made me realize hey - there are only 9 weeks or so left of this semester and this time next year I'll be in clinical rotations! It's amazing how one can lose sight of that in this endless August heat.

0 comments: