Thursday, September 3, 2009

Dream Anatomy


This week, I finally learned how to learn in Anatomy. The class that was feeling overwhelming just became one that I can chart a course towards an A. I felt a wave of desperation on Tuesday, but remembered how I memorized things in the past - by just looking at it - and I sat down with my Netter's and was able to memorize all of the muscles of the forearm in one night. The following night I took care of all the features of the ulnar, radius, humerus, scapula, and clavicle as well as the nerves and arteries of the arm. When I went to lab this morning I knew what I was talking about and could understand even when I didn't get things right what was going on and why. Suddenly, the class transformed into one of going over notes and trying to apply hazy terms to traveling in an unfamiliar country with a handheld GPS loaded wtih ArcGIS desktop. I may not have known everything but I can figure it out.


This copperplate engraving, held by the National Library of Medicine and part of the online interactive Dream Anatomy gallery, show the posterior compartment muscles of the forearm which are innervated by the radial nerve and act on mainly extending the wrist, fingers and thumb. It marks the true beginning of my journey into Gross Anatomy.

0 comments: